Monday 16 January 2012

A real Aussie Christmas

Hum to Jingle Bells theme

Dashing to the beach With my boogie board and towel
Look at all the waves Hear the surfers yell, YEE HAA
Put your sunscreen on Don’t forget your hat
Because you will get sunburnt If you don’t remember that

Chorus
Summer time, Christmas time
Mosquitoes, bindies,
BBQ’s, sausages, Tomato sauces and flies.........

Here I was back in Australia for my first Aussie Christmas since 2008 and first Christmas with the family since 2005.  The lead up to Christmas was busy with a Christmas party up in Wickham north WA with my new work colleagues from RIO, then our work Christmas party in Perth (a lovely tour around the wineries of the swan valley and lots of free very nice wine). Then it was already the 23rd time to jump on a plane, drunk and all to get 'home' (loosely defined as that because the Gold Coast is where my family live).
A BBQ lunch at my brothers new house with all the family there made the 24th special, seeing my nephew walking for the first time = priceless......


Does it feel like Christmas? It really used to but after having 3 winter Christmases in a row, I've come to realise, a Summer Christmas just isn't quite the same. The build up overseas is more special because  its winter, the early darkness, snow and lights, the Christmas markets and mulled wine..... Yum!

Still here I was with all my family including my 94 year old Grandma who had managed the flight over from Victoria, 4 generations under the one roof.  We were missing my beautiful cousin Nicole though who was spending her first Christmas away and enjoying a cold winter in Europe, our thoughts were with her.  I think what made this years so special was being together, and that doesn't just have to be with family, whether you spend it with a great bunch of friends, family or just your loved ones Christmas to me is about being together feeling loved and supported.

 This was Ethan's first Australian Christmas and Auntie Lisa bought Ethan a keyboard for Christmas with hopes he continues his love and natural talent for all things musical.

 We spent the Christmas week catching up together, we tried to go to the beach on boxing day but alas they were closed due to huge waves from a cyclone of the coast, so it was back to the flat broadwater.  We also squeezed in a day at wet 'n' wild water park, my first time in 10 years!!!



Those around me know what a tough year 2011 had been for me. Full of change though life is a constant state of change, full of heartache (more tears than I can remember ever shedding apart from the year of 2004), full of hurt, pain, loss and feeling of a loss of control with no answers.  Still through that rollercoaster I still dragged myself out and about, went on so many amazing adventures.  Here is the time I do my best to thank all thoes friends, family and just random people I have met along the way who have supported me, offered me guidance, let me cry on their shoulders, given me somewhere to just be....... If it wasn't for all of you I'd have had a much harder time, and I know I shouldn't just thank you for this year it's for always being there for each other when ever we should need it...... Thanks and I will always be there for all of you as well......  Bring on 2012, let 2011 be the year of learning and 2012 be my year of growth, happiness and healing..... Much love and hugs (you know I'm the serial hugger, friends I need them hehe).

    


 


No comments:

Post a Comment