Tuesday 11 September 2012

A weekend with Tara and Paul NZ style



 We agreed on a meeting place. Greymouth it was to be, easiest access for them coming across Arthurs pass after work and not far for me from the Glaciers.  As we all knew rain and lots of it was predicted for most of NZ south island this weekend so we looked to wet weather activities. Tara thought of white water rafting and we were all keen, except that was the tour company. Unfortunately due to such large volumes of rain fall this risk of debris being unsafe in the rivers meant it was going to be  no go boooo.

I had a few hours before Tara and Paul were due to arrive so I asked where would be good to go for a trail run. I was directed to Elizabeth point, a lovely 5-10km trail run just outside of town.  I set off just as sunset happened but had forgotten my head torch. So I enjoyed the sunset over the ocean as it came into view but had to turn around early to get back ass I was now running through the forrest in the pitch black.  I will admit a funny story I thought I saw a kiwi, I stopped and watched it for a while and managed a few photos for evidence, I was later informed by the hostel staff it was in fact a Weka not a kiwi, it is the long nose of the kiwi I should have been able to distinguish. Bummmer still yet to see a kiwi….

When Tara and Paul arrived that night we caught up by the fire of the hostel in Greymouth. This was a unique hostel called Noah’s Arc and as the name suggests each of the dorm rooms is animal in theme. We’d been placed in the leopard room and from the wall paper to the bedding we were covered in leopard print. How funny.

Saturday and the rain continued. We drove to  pancake rocks and walked around it getting thoroughly soaked and not being high tide the blowholes just weren't blowing. We all needed a warm drink to dry out in the caffet before planning our next move.  The rain meant most tramps were  unsafe here due to the numerous river crossings but as it seemed to stop we called into this cave along the road and enjoyed  a river walk out to a swing bridge. The river really was bursting which was quite impressive.

Tara has stayed at this amazing hostel before and suggested we could stay there tonight.  It would be nice to not make it too popular but I will say this, it’s the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in. Nesseled in the thick green forest there is a choice of accommodation from dorm rooms to the small 3-6 person individual little buildings…..  We stayed in the Hideaway which was tucked in the forrest very tranquil and relaxing.  


Instantly walking around this place you felt like you were in a retreat. The staff were super friendly and home baked bread and fresh muffins daily which we were happy to munch on.  The beach was only 5 minutes walk away so when the rain stopped we headed down.  The beach wasn’t really present right now as it was just past high tide and with the massive storm swell the waves were crashing spectacularly into the rock formations. 

Tara suggested we go and have a look at the waterfall on the beach which involved timing our run in between the waves.  We were going to have to break it up into 2 runs.  I set off first and ran fast, the beach was small pebbles not sand but your feet sunk and felt like I was running through quick sand. Phew I made it, adrenaline pumping.  Next it was Tara’s turn and a cute little squeal of scaredness and excitement came out her mouth as she ran as fast as she could to join me.  Paul with his long legs made it look easy and we were soon there.  We watched larger waves come in and didn't make the next run to the waterfall further away instead squealed with adrenaline at the thought of now having to turn around and run back.  Were we silly doing this hmmm perhaps but it sure was a lot of fun, with lots of laughter and a natural adrenaline high!!!

A yummy roast dinner by a not so warm coal fire and evening was upon us.  Hot drinks back in our room showers to warm up and we were all ready for sleep.  The rain fell hard outside our windows but we were tucked up nice and warm and cosy. I do love falling asleep to the sound of rain and ocean waves.

Sunday a morning meal of pancakes was yummy with banana and maple syrup then all packed up we left out little retreat. I felt one night could have easily turned into a week, Tara looks forward to coming back here at Christmas when her family come out from the UK. What a great place she has picked for them.

Today we had hoped to walk out to the devlis punchbowl waterfall at Arthur's pass but were warned in Greymouth that snow was falling over Arthurs pass and snow chains were essential. My hire car had them but their van did not.  As we weren’t able to buy them being a Sunday the call was made to try to make it and stop if conditions became unsafe.  In the end they had someone checking everyone had the chains closer to the pass for safety reasons and we had to abandon their van all pile into the hire car and head on up.  Putting the snow chains on is something I’ve never seen done before I so I was pretty useless but did at least try to watch for future use.  A kea even sat in the snow checking out what all the fuss was about.  The snow was definitely falling but they were clearing the road frequently so when we made it to the top of Arthurs pass and had a break it was decided we’d drive back down to collect the van as it would make it in these conditions.  Paul told us later that the van was fishtailing a bit coming up the pass which must have been a scary experience for him but luckily all made it safely.

This pass is such a beautiful one and with snow falling everyone knows how much I love it so I was pretty excited. We couldn’t do the waterfall walk now so continued on but we did stop at Castle Hill  the sun even came out for us  
Its  a famous bouldering area full of these massive limestone rocky outcrop in a large paddock with the high mountain snowy tops as a backdrop.  It really was stunning.  As Tara has a fractured finger and paul a shoulder injury my climbing partners were not going to  be able to join in but it did mean I had Paul there to spot me and Tara took some photos both encouraging me how lucky was I.  The rock was quite wet in a lot of places because of all the rain and my confidence wasn’t soaring but we found some nice easy problems and I was able to top out on them and loved it.  This limestone really is solid, no chalk needed. The evening chill started to set in and we headed for a wood fired pizza plaee to stop off on the way home. Yummy. 

What a great weekend with friends.

sunset at Elizabeth point
weka
the hideaway
Ready to run???
pancake rocks

snowy kea


Castle Hill

































 











No comments:

Post a Comment