Monday 21 March 2011

A birthday week, a smile and 5 days of skiing


Well I didn't have to work very hard this week, instead I skiied hard. Had 5 out of 7 days on the hill, a great ski lesson where I finally skiied through the glades, more off piste and black runs. Amazing what a little confidence can do and once again pushing through the fear.  As this great book I"m reading "feel the fear and do it anyway" is helping me understand.

Friday was my birthday, the girls tried to make me feel special and when work found out they all sang me happy birthday and sent me off skiing, pretty cool hey! I finally had a clear day today and took my big camera up on the hill got some great pics in blue skies of the mountains, wow Whistler is a really pretty place. I even attempted my first ever video while skiing, bit shakey but heck I tried.

Time for reflection and the above video is a little something I put together of my first ski season ever, and all the things apart from just skiing we got up to. I think I've improved lots in my skiing from a timid scared green runner to a confident blue and onto some blacks, excited to go through the glades, and a lover of soft and lots of it powder.  Next step for me would ideally be more off piste and getting used to skiing with a pack to prepare for backcountry and ski touring which I'd love to get into. Now to find the friends to help me achieve that as I feel you do improve by being around those that are better than you, and of course internally I need to feel the fear and still do it :-)

Its been a rollercoaster season here in Whistler, plenty of lows but not too many to shine out the highs and thats how I like to live, positively and belive things happen for a reason, makes you stronger and learn lessons about yourself and life so go with the flow and of course feel the fear and do it anyway.

I've been so lucky to have met wonderful friends here in Whistler and lucky to have so many scattered around this big wide world.

No comments:

Post a Comment