Sunday 13 March 2011

Vancouver Island party time and A first on snowshoes

Well the snow just keeps falling here in Whistler so I've been able to have a few powder ski's before we enjoyed a few days away from this little 'bubble' we call home.  Our Ravens Nest staff party was to be a surprise which ended in us arriving on Vancouver island at this fantastic spa retreat with wooden cabins by the ocean.

With so much booze and only 7 of us able to make it, it didn't take long for us to unwind drinking and walking along the low tide ocean in the rain.  Quite refreshing actually and really what I needed, to get out of Whistler for a bit with friends, laugh lots and well drink lots as it happened too.  Brittany's birthday too, I'd baked her a chocolate cake, so we all went out to dinner ate too much then drank too much playing games and headed out to some night life ha ha.  A total of probably 6 people were in the bar but still it was karaoke night so though I said I'd never sing live again I found myself up there in duet with Britt, singing ACDC all night long ha ha.  Some sore heads the next day, I enjoyed a peaceful run along the beach in the morning then we all went for  a drive, not finding where we were supposed to go we ended up at caves.  Some self guided others to be guided, stupidly Adrian and I had left our head torches back at the huts and so with just 2 mobile phone flash lights we didn't get too far but I got a taste for a new adventure sport I'm really keen to try out properly next time, it was loads of fun.

All good things come to an end, isn't that how the song goes, we got the ferry back and sad to say goodbyes as Karly has now gone back to Tassie in Australia and we won't see our manager Adrian around really.  Time here in Whistler is quickly ticking away. Where is my fun things to do before I leave list? Aha found it.....

Snowshoeing the local mountains tick.  Well Sunday was the day and I was able to borrow a friends snow shoes yet with so much snow falling we knew we wouldn't get any views today, but still my first time trying out snowshoeing and we both had the day off so away we went towards Cayoosh mountain.  First snow shoe mistake trying to step backwards away from the car, ha ha ha I fell straight on my butt and took a moment to realise what happened.  Lucky I can laugh at myself.  There were too many avalanche risks to keep going up the steep slopes so we came back down and found this awesome hut completely tucked away in the trees so cute, rustic amazing feeling. I know I'll be back to this one soon.  The only thing I would love more than the mountains on snow shoes right now would be to be good enough to ski tour in and enjoy all this fresh powder and serenity.

I have a friend over from Australia at the moment so plans are for Tubing monday night another tick for the list and then to enjoy this fresh powder by doing fresh tracks on Tuesday. Thanks for all this fresh snow now I'm not working much and glad to get some last ski improvements in before I leave.....

Stay tuned :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment