Friday 12 August 2011

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhhi

 Summer in 2 countries??

Since my last blog lots of changes have occurred again, 2011 seems to be a big year of change for me whether it be change I was expecting or unfortunately wished it wasn’t so, yet have been forced to embrace it and grow from the experience.

I had high hopes I would be allowed to sit my physiotherapy exams this year and hence stay in Canada, unfortunately that isn’t the case and to make things worse I received a letter from the physiotherapy board at the end of June stating it would be another 30 weeks for them to process my paperwork and only then can I even be allowed to sit the exams.  This would mean if I stayed in Canada I wouldn’t be a physio for 2 years (already had a year off) and that for me is too long.

I sent out an email to a few local hospitals and joined a locum agency back in Australia thinking it would take a few months to get any feedback and would allow me to spend the summer in Canada and then move back and work the summer in Australia. Again change sometimes occurs fast! I got an email within 2 weeks from the local hospital near mum’s on the Gold Coast asking how soon I could come back as they needed someone. With a few international phone calls and lots of emails he agreed to push it back to a start date of 22nd August, still sooner than I’d hoped but as far as I could push it without losing the job.  So here I am just having just moved to Vancouver taken on a new job, a new place to live, meeting new friends and starting to feel settled in a place I want to call home and I’m leaving again.

I have booked a return flight as Canada and BC do feel like home for me, as I’m most happiest surrounded by the mountains and the ocean and that’s right on the door step here in BC.  Its hard to describe to people why I would want to live in another country other than Australia, but I do.  The simplest way is to say yes we have the ocean and a good laid back attitude but not the mountains, where here I can have both.  Its a lifestyle choice but with the option of being able to eventually continue my career as well. My flight back has to be flexible as I’m still at mercy to the powers of the physiotherapy board of Canada. Also for me to apply for residency here isn’t proving as straight forward as I’d hoped either and I have to work a while longer before I can apply, so even more reason to return for a bit.

The last time I felt this unsettled about leaving, was when I left Tasmania 3 1/2 years ago, I had a fun happy life there with great friends and adventure but wanted to see the world.  If I hadn't stepped out on a solo trip into the unknown I never would have had so many experiences to grow from.  I left with the knowledge that I would travel as long as I remained happy and enjoying myself, now it seems I have found that happiness in another country than the one I left.  Its not a quickly made decision, I've been traveling on and off in Canada for the past 6 years and have always been drawn back with the feeling of 'home' and I now have the opportunity to make that a reality. Its always harder to make such a big life decision when your on your own but it means this decision has to be totally my own and for me and for the right reasons.

Lets say I’ve tried to ride with these changes but it has been a  really difficult first 6 months of the year. I do believe things happen for a reason and I'm growing with every new challenge and experience I'm going through. I am grateful I’ll get time with family and friends by returning back to the Gold Coast and Australia as I’ve lived away from Australia for 3 ½ years now and haven’t lived on the Gold Coast for 8 years! I am excited to arrive back in time for my nephew's first birthday party and the chance to really be an Aunty for him.  Particularly if all goes well with Canada and I stay here for a long while, I’ll really value this time back in Aus. So in just 5 short days it will be Hello Australia, see you soon Canada....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Lisa. You'll be one of the first to know when I'm coming down you're way. Until next we meet on another adventure!

    ReplyDelete