Friday 19 August 2011

Hope Mountain and a bruised Coccyx

On Sunday 7th August I had a spot in a 4wd to go with the group from Wanderung to hike Hope mountain (1844m) If I'm honest I hadn't really heard about the mountain but always keen for another outdoors adventure I was glad to go along.

It was a 2 hour drive, including about 1 hour on a bumpy 4wd track which involved a skillful drive around a  boulder that had fallen into the middle of the road, a creek crossing and scraping off the paint through thick elder bushes.




The drive shows that this mountain is not used lots by people and the trail reflected that. Straight away it was thick in bushes, there was a definite path underfoot but constant shurbs and branches scratching away at the arms and legs.  We had some nice view points along the way and the weather again was amazing and sunny.  The last part involved a couple of easy scrambles, crossing some snow patches and route finding.  With a group of 8 there are always varying paces so we did end up over the estimated time just having points to wait and let everyone catch up.



On the summit there were good views of the mountains and down to Hope itself.  The summit cairn as most people know is usually a pile of rocks delicately balanced on top of each to form a significant rock mound.  What I decided to do was stupid and I don't think any brain activity or thought went into it. We were all set up to have a group summit shot so I thought I'd just sit on top of the cairn out of the way and while happily sitting there it suddenly came tumbling down, I fell down backward and landed hard onto a sharp rock right onto my tail bone. Initially confused as to where I was, I checked both arms and legs moved and stood up. Bad idea the searing pain in my coccyx (tailbone) made me feel sick to the point I almost fainted. I needed to rest back down and compose myself.  Everyone else was as shocked as I what had happened. I was so annoyed at myself on being so stupid and not thinking!





The way back down was painful with each step but I made an impromptu icepack with the snow and it was helping a little putting it on.  The road trip back along the 4WD track wasn't fun either with every bounce I could feel pain again.  We stopped for dinner and I relented by having some pain killers though I really don't like taking medication, the discomfort was immense by then.


It was a really fun day out and one I won't forget in a hurry as I've now had to have a week off from all exercise, spent the next day barely able to walk due to so much pain and there is nothing to do for it except time and relative rest. BOOOOOOO







No comments:

Post a Comment