Friday 5 August 2011

Summer Fun in Vancouver

July 5th -  17th 2011


I have secured a job as the office manager and assistant (well that is my title but its such a small office I hardly feel like I’m doing much let along being a manager) for a chiropractors office.  I tried to get assistant physiotherapy work but nothing seems to be around. It keeps me busy, pays the bills and I only have to work 4 days a week so fits in with summer nicely.

I’ve been making some lovely friends while I settle into life in North Vancouver. Sophie is from the UK originally and has been working and travelling around the world and for her too, BC feels like home. It’s been nice to find another hiking friend, a real friend I can talk to anything about and also someone going through the same difficulties regarding visa’s and decisions on residency too.  We went and explored Lighthouse Park together, her first time there, my chance to do a recky for the climbing possibilities plus it was such a beautiful blue sky day.  That same night we met up with a meetup group to watch Jurassic Park at the free outdoor cinema in Stanley park. A lovely picnic and meeting more new friends Jenny, apart from getting cold after the sun went down it’s a fun free summer activity being held weekly here in Van.
Vancouver City and Mt Baker


Friday 8th and a spontaneous acceptance of a last minute offer to join Christie , Ryan and their friends for a round of pitch and putt. I haven’t picked up a golf club in years, but surprised myself with a great shot out of the sand bunker straight into the hole! Fluke you bet, but no matter great laugh for everyone.  It was lots of fun pitching and then as the name suggests putting till the sun went down. Here I was remembering back to high school learning to play golf for PE and the profanities that came out of my mouth, never knew that was even possible. Again making new friends from different circles always means a great night out.


 Saturday was a blue sky day and I had responded to a Climbfind request for people to go climbing with.  We ended up with 4 of us going, which was great setting up 2 ropes, Joey and I just top roped that day and the guys set up harder routes on lead. None of them were confident trad leading so we stuck to the sports routes, but it was nice to keep improving my slap skills and foot work and balance being the key. With beautiful views of the Howe sound and new climbing friends, a day out climbing in Squamish is always fun. I would still like to do a multi pitch route up the chief but that will happen at some point.





The weather improved on the Sunday so I rode from north shore to Jerico to check out the MEC paddle fest on my own.  They had all these great free events including yoga by the water, free stand up paddle boarding lessons and free kayak lessons, plus you could take out just about anything on your own for a demonstration run.  Great day out, I enjoyed learning stand up paddle boarding but know its not a sport/hobby I’ll pursue getting any kit for, though it is becoming super popular here.




Squamish climbing festival started on the Wednesday 13th and we got free tickets to see the opening movie night and speaker presentation. I was able to get a lift from work to squamish and enjoyed it so much, being inspired and bought the book All that Glitters being signed by the author Margot Talbot.

A girls Friday night out was inorder and as Sophie had found a job for the week working at the pro golf tournament that was excuse enough for Jenn, Sophie and I to have a bottle of Champagne, nice dinner and a comedy show. I laughed so hard and it was nice to just spend time with the girls.

Saturday 16th a wet day not great for the climbing festival in Squamish but still keen to check it out, I went with Steve and his friend Katelyn.  She has been travelling around the world, similar to how I was enjoying every minute, yet still unable to settle more than a few months before needing to move and discover more of the world.  A fantastic natural ability climber, she had her first alpine experience in Huaraz Peru as I did so we had some great stories to share. Again so nice to meet girls into outdoors sports and loving life as much as I am.  The rain meant no climbing but we did get to be inspired by the movies, and the tug of war in the mud as well as check out the pro deals.

Sunday 17th all weekend long is the Vancouver Folk festival and finally the weather wasn’t raining so Sophie and I went along and met up with a meetup group, Katelyn was able to join us later after work and though the ticket prices were a bit steep, considering the 'iffy' weather, we had been told you could hear and see as much from the outside, so we opted for this, enjoyed the markets and peeping through the fences then dancing on the logs on the beach with some wine, food and good company.  Caitlyn gave us a lift in her work car the google maps and we finished the night with yummy frozen yoghurt.




Talk about burning the candle from both ends, I’ve found myself out almost every afternoon/evening after work really enjoying myself, making new friends and just enjoying every minute I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment