Saturday 13 August 2011

Boats, Summer xmas and fun in the sun


July 18th - 30th

I’ve been hiking the Grouse Grind once a week usually with Paul and Sandra my friends from Trek BC.  It’s a mountain pathway that goes straight up Grouse Mountain, used for training. Paul has a way of pushing me to go to my limits and the first time I did the grind (no puns please) with him we did it in 46 minutes, I felt like puking on route but at the top I felt great :-) .The best bit is we get to take the gondola back down again.

Theresa came to visit this week.  I met her in Alaska while she was traveling with my friend Greg and we all went on that amazing 4 day kayak experience together.  We had a few random fun filled days including meeting her new friends and watching the sunset over kits beach while learning to play an African musical instrument, learning capoiera and climbing totem poles ending in a hot tub…  It was also the Caribbean festival on the weekend and the parade goes on the street right out front of my place so Sue, Theresa and I went to check it out.  That afternoon she wanted to chill so we went to Ambleside beach and relaxed.



I was out to drinks for Hildes goodbye party Saturday night and met some nice new friends including Robert who is keen to take me out on his sailing boat yay :-) One big cocktail in a coconut and lisa was more than on her way to giggly drunk.

Sunday I was off for an Adventure with Rory.  He had purchased this old authentic boat last winter and had been fixing it up, on Saturday he got it working and so we were off to test it out.  Leaving from Squamish it was an early drive out there and the boat well you have to see it to believe it, quite the character, really cool 








I got to do a lot of the steering as I had wanted to learn more and find it really fun being out in a boat.  It was an amazing sunny day and so special to finally be out in the Howe sound exploring. I’ve driven a lot on the road from Vancouver to Whistler looking out at the beautiful water and islands so it was quite a treat to be able to get out in the water. It was great having a different perspective seeing the chief and Shannon falls from here too.  We even stopped off to see some pictographs drawn on the rock.  A really chilled out and happy day.
July 25th 2011
Christmas in July. I’ve celebrated this for quite a while now, so wanted to keep the tradition going plus an excuse to have a BBQ and get new friends together.  We held it in John Lawson Park West Vancouver and I set up my slack line, made lots of food and everyone bought something to share. The weather cooperated and everyone seemed to have a good time. As I opened it to bringing anyone there were new friendships made which was great and we were quite the multicultural group from Aussies, Canadians, British, Sweden, Germany. We ended the night after the sun had set so a great way to spend a Monday evening and show others what its like to celebrate Christmas in the summer time like we do back in Aus.




July long weekend :-0
Friday 29th  Rose my friend I first met while traveling in Utah earlier this year, you will remember from previous blogs our travels together and with my friend Greg.  Sandra had invited me to the VOC gospel choir who were singing a free concert in the Deep Cove park that night which overlooks the water and harbor.  Sandra has become a really good friend since I've moved to Vancouver, its really nice to meet positive happy people and girls that love getting out hiking as much as possible too, I'm lucky to have friends like her in my life.


What a nice start to the long weekend, the sun was out, the choir were great (bringing back fond memories of my housemate in tassie also a Lisa singing with me as I used to play the piano) and Rose, Sandra and I were able to chat and enjoy the concert.  Rose and I missed the bus home by 2 min with another 30min wait and still in the mentality of Alaska I suggested we try hitchhiking haha! Well we did get picked up but the guy misunderstood our drop off point and literally took us a few kms down the road to a bus stop where we waited for the same bus we were going to have to get from Deep Cove, pretty funny though.



No comments:

Post a Comment